As the month gets underway, I am continually amazed at the beauty in the manner the children speak and care for one another. The Lesson’s of Grace and Courtesy guide their work and build their community. I am confident your child is tired when he or she arrives home at the end of their day by nature of the “will” they used in the work cycle. These lessons are taught and role modeled by the older children daily. In no particular order lessons such as:
- How to greet a friend by name
- How to observe
- How to interrupt
- How to listen (The Silence Game)
- How to keep our personal space
- How to say Excuse me.
- How to walk around a mat.
- How to push in your chair when you leave a table.
- How to cover a cough or sneeze.
- How to get help
- How to say thank you
These and many more Lessons In Grace and Courtesy are essential and foundational to our work together. In helping the child, we help them to have the social tools and graces to lead them to independence.